Tuesday, April 17, 2007

ALOHA, DON HO...

I was sad to hear of the passing of Hawaiian music legend Don Ho, and not just because we've lost another swingin' crooner from the Rat Pack era. He actually played a small but memorable part in my honeymoon (get your minds out of the gutter!) Like so many newlyweds in Honolulu we caught his show, and he asked if there were any honeymooners in the audience. His man with a mic came up to me and Don asked when we were married. I said a month-and-a-half ago (we didn't even plan our honeymoon til after the wedding). Of course Ho's from the era where couples were virgins 'til their wedding day then immediately proceed to do it like crazed monkeys on their honeymoon, so he said, "Wow, a month and a half later and still on the honeymoon - this guy's Superman!" And when we met him after the show to get our picture taken with him, he recognized me and signed it "To Superman."

On the flight home, an older Hawaiian man couldn't get his bag into the overhead compartment. I helped him and he said, "Wow, how'd you do that? You're Superman!" So there ya go - old Hawaiian guys think I'm Superman. Apparently they worship me - must be some kinda cargo cult.

I was given a cassette version of his 1990 album "All My Love" for participating in the show, and amidst the love ballads was this novelty about Hawaii's biggest cash crop:

Don Ho: "Who Was That Lolo Who Stole My Pacalolo?" - Consider this an early 4/20 post.

His out-of-print album "Live At The Polynesian Palace" featured a version of his hit "Pearly Shells" that featured him chatting with children in the audience. When he asks one girl about her father, she tells Don that her dad is dead! I can't believe they left it on the album:

Don Ho: "Pearly Shells (excerpt)"

Don Ho: "Hawaii 5-0/Quiet VIllage" - These songs had lyrics?

Don Ho: "Shock The Monkey" (video) - Yep, the Peter Gabriel song, from the kooky "When Pigs Fly" comp; he just can't quite hit those high notes, can he?

RIAA's latest mashup actually features a military marching cadence version of Ho's tiki lounge classic "Tiny Bubbles" + The Velvet Underground's "Guess I'm Falling in Love" -
"Guess I'm Falling Into Bubbles"


Aloha, Don...

3 comments:

dalston shopper said...

I can't believe I just discovered your blog for the first time!!

Fantastic.

Mr Fab said...

Thanks. I'm diggin your site now - love those old NME cassettes.

Anonymous said...

Hawaii Five-O theme with lyrics? Sure. The cut I have (found on the Internet) is entitled "You Can Count On Me," done by Sammy Davis Jr. in 1970.

"Shock The Monkey" isn't all that bad, either.