Sunday, April 15, 2007

KICK THE IRS

Happy Tax Day, America! To celebrate, here's an obscure self-released 45 from 1982 commemorating...something. Apparently there was some sort of tax revolt in the state of Montana that inspired one Ah - Ah Allen to record these two songs. Couldn't find much on the web re: Ah - Ah except that he recorded at least one other single that someone's selling on eBay, and his music was used in a documentary film about hobos. Maybe he was a hobo - he sings with the kind of folksy twang I like to imagine hobos sound like.

Ah - Ah Allen: Kick The IRS
Ah - Ah Allen: Montana I'm So Proud of You

Anyone know what the heck he's singing about? (Someone from Montana perhaps?)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to see this online. I located a copy of this record last year when I lived in Seattle. It seems to me that he's urging jury nullification in trials of tax protesters. who were sometimes associated with fringe groups in Montana and elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Without even hearing the tracks....

Maybe this could be a tribute to crazed evangelist A A Allen...

--Hawkster

grover casey said...

ah ah as he is affectionately known to all who have known him was a garbage man in ca for many yrs until he retired he then taught himself to play the guitar and other instruments , made his own dentures and created the ah ah club my family met him in alaska where we imediatly adopted him if anyone knows where he is please call me @ 559-688-1275 or e-mail me @ grovercasey@sbcglobal.net

vikter jayms whyt said...

ah ah allen is my step grandfather, married to gloria judd-preston, grandma and i are looking for him for years. last time we saw him was pearls place. bar and diner. any leads can help, 562-676-6668 victor

Doug Hyder said...

I played many times with Al at the Montana Bar on 4th Ave in Anchorage, Alaska in the 70s. Lil' Shorty (fiddle), Johnny Collingsworth. And Banjo Dave were also guests who sat in with the Ah-Ah Allen band on many a Friday or Saturday night. He was a great human being to know in my travels through life. I still miss his Ah-Ah laugh.

vikter jayms whyt said...

doug hyder tell me more. call me sometimes 562-676-6668. ah ah's wife "gypsi" gloria allen- is still alive. i thing ah ah is last living in lake tahoe.

Unknown said...

Enjoyed listening to Ah Ah and Gypsi one whole summer when they were playing at the Houston Lodge in Alaska. They were living in a school bus, and I thought they were great.