Tuesday, December 14, 2010

VLADIMIR POOTIN'

Yes, this recent video of Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin plunking out the piano line and singing "Blueberry Hill" at a star-studded charity dinner has been getting mainstream press coverage, but if you all ignore as much of the mainstream media as I do, you might not have caught it. It would have gone great on my "Politics of Dancing" collection of politicians' atrocious musical moments.

I was amazed to see that James Brown's main man Maceo Parker was leading the band. Did they do any JB remakes? "Living in America" could have been "Living in St. Petersburg;" "Please, Please, Please" could be "Borscht,
Borscht, Borscht." "I Got Vodka (I Feel Good)." "Papa's Got A Brand New Invasion of Chechnya." Oh yeah. I got a million of 'em, folks.



Another weird thing about this: backup singers I understand, but during the spoken-word part, he has backup talkers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

but I like his singing -not his vocal abilities, but the fact itself...He looks cool...

Anonymous said...

If you want an image of the future, imagine a blue suede shoe stamping on a human face forever....

Anonymous said...

His version reminds me of a cross polinization between Joey Bishop's and Pat Boone's styles. Windbag

illustrationISM.... said...

I DON'T BElieVE IT!
Wasn't that Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn,
Sharon Stone, Kevin Costner and Gerald Depardeau
in the crowd too?!!!!

Mr Fab said...

I told ya it was star studded, and judging by those stars, it must have been "Stars of the '80s/early '90s Night."