Thursday, December 16, 2010

A CRAFTY LADIES CHRISTMAS


I'll be posting Christmas music for the next week or so, and it doesn't get much better than this 11 minute, 7 song 7" recorded by the participants in the arts program of the San Francisco Recreation Center for the Handicapped. The musical backing seems pretty professionally played, in contrast to the vocals of the handicapped folks.
It kicks off with a version of "Rudolph The
Red Nose Reindeer" scored for xylophone and
sad horn - very evocative combination. Much
of the remaining tracks feature only piano 
 accompaniment, which gives it a kind of
church pageant feel; there's a real sweetness
to "O Christmas Tree,"  like if 'A Charlie
Brown Christmas' was now starring old people.
"I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas" (hey, a Spike Jones cover!)
features a full band, with the unusual lineup of
xylophone, percussion, and...organ? guitar?  I'm not sure.

A CRAFTY LADIES CHRISTMAS

6 comments:

Dat Big Cheeze said...

Is this the cover?

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5725/acraftyladieschristmas.jpg

Oh, and btw, you're absolutely FAB!!!

Mr Fab said...

Excellent, o Cheezy One! Much appreciated.

[post updated]

Dat Big Cheeze said...

Wtaz my pleasure yer Fabliness(sp).


BTW, what IS that sickeningly sweet smell emanating from this blog?

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Mr. Fab! I've never heard of this before!
So wrong. So damn funny!
You've turned me onto so much cool music that I end up playing on the air that I feel like I owe you a kidney, one of my first born or something.
Happy Holydaze to you!

Mr Fab said...

Well, if I ever need a kidney (just to play with, not for transplants) I know on whose door to come a-knockin'. Thanks muchly, and KillUglyRadio is great stuff, was actually checking out your show last week.

And a big stinky holiday cheeze log to you, too, Big Cheeze!.

Chris Dooks said...

I am not sure where I stand on this morally but I think it might be the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.