Monday, December 20, 2010

A CALYPSO CHRISTMAS IS LIKE SO

Ah, durn, Christmas really got away from me this year. For one thing, Captain Beefheart's death threw me for a loop. I could spend a LOT of time talking about his genius, I could break his albums down one by one, etc., but I don't have to, do I? His legacy has been pretty well examined. Because, believe me, I could yammer on like an Asperger's kid talking about "Star Wars." It would have to wait until the new year, in any case.

And so I have lots of sick, outsider, novelty and whatnot Christmas records sitting by my turntable unrecorded. Wait 'til next year. At least Our Man In Salt Lake, windbag, came thru with:

Esso Trinidad Steelband "Calypso Christmas"


It ranges from mellow tracks for an irie Christmas, to absolutely pulverizing, loud, clangorous rockers. All instrumental, all percussion played on re-purposed oil drums (now this is real metal music, har har!) And with that, I'll see y'all next year after the holiday. The dust blows forward and the dust blows back...

1. SILVER BELLS

2. WINTER WONDERLAND
3. JOY TO THE WORLD
4. COME ALL YE FAITHFUL

5. GLORIA IN EXCELSIS (Angels We Have Heard On High)

6. O HOLY NIGHT
7. MARY'S BOY CHILD
8. HARK! THE HERALD ANGELS SING

9. CHRISTIANS AWAKE


Thanks again, windy!

2 comments:

iggy said...

Great Christmas gift, Mr Fab. Thanks so much for your kindness and generosity. Joy at Christmas to you and yours.

Iggymo

Audible Diner said...

Glad ya also used the holidays to appreciate Calypso! Happy new year and I'll be listening!