Monday, July 13, 2009

EXPERIMENTAL KID'S MUSIC

8 year old kids playing microtonal music on their invented instruments? This - THIS - is what this blog's all about. Composer/musician Paul "Ubertar" Rubenstein teaches New York kids how to build one-string guitars, and play in African and Indonesian-inspired scales. Then they jam. Not just a novelty, this is some seriously good, unique unclassifiable music, whose contents are only hinted at by their song titles:

Ubertar + kids: Psychedelic Free Jazz
Ubertar + kids: Heavy Drone Rock - Sonic Youth, step off.
Ubertar + kids: This Is So Great - singing!

And how would you, yes you! like to get in on the action? Why should kids have all the fun? Paul sez: "I'm about to start microtonal music workshops at my music studio in Ridgewood, Queens (Dekalb stop on the L train). The first session will be Wednesday, 7/15 at 6:30 pm, and the cost is $12. People can reserve a spot by emailing me at paul@ubertar.com. It's for all levels-- total beginners through advanced."


3 comments:

JohnnyRussia said...

Great post...

Tim said...

I just made a post on my blog about this (plus some other stuff), and included a "compilation"/mixtape of my favorite songs ripped from the youtube videos

check it out!:
http://www.brrrptzzapthesubject.com/?p=677

Silly Bus said...

I'm glad to have visited your blog and good to know you! I find it interesting and informative.