Sunday, March 09, 2014

BAD BOB: "The Tunes They Are A-Changin'"

As if that "Better Than The Beatles" comp we recently posted wasn't enough to blow a baby-boomer's brain, now we've got 23 mind-boggling Bob Dylan covers: celebrity actors who have no business making "music" (Eddie Albert, Sebastian Cabot, Telly Savalas, and yep, The Shat himself), absurdly wimped-out easy-listening crooners and orchestras, milquetoast pop-folkies, bubblegum heartthrobs (Bobby Sherman!  Dino Desi & Billy!), punk new-wavers (Bryan Ferry, and even Da Bruddahs), and a couple outright parodies. 

Off the top of my head, I can think of some others (a Moog version of "Lay Lady Lady," Johnny Cash, and didn't Hugo Montenegro do a Dylan album?) but believe me, this is more than enough to do your head in. Something's going on here, but I really don't know what it is, Mr. Jones.

This comes to us courtesy of MadJon, who gifted us with the "Disco Sellout" collection we posted here a few months ago.

The Tunes They Are A-Changin'

Correction: track 22 is actually "Knockin' On Heaven's Door". And if your version of "My Back Pages" was corrupted, go HERE for a replacement.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Okterberfest version of "Blowin in the Wind" you posted a while back was pretty epic.

Mr Fab said...

Oh, that's right! German schlager-meister Chris Roberts did that hilarious version.

Anonymous said...

And there's the Neil Innes parody, where he starts by saying "I've suffered for my art, now it's your turn."

-Phil Th

Unknown said...

Wonderful stuff! ! will be torturing - sorry treating - people with these at every opportunity..

Brett Alan said...

Yes, Hugo Montenegro did a whole album of Dylan, called Dawn Of Dylan. I've got that. The Sebastian Cabot comes from a whole album of Dylan stuff, too, which is really awful.

Some of the other weird stuff in my mp3 file:

Blowin' In The Wind - Percy Faith
If Not For You- Anita Kerr Singers
Like A Rolling Stone - Living Voices
Blowin' In The Wind - Stan Getz
I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - Bob Dylan
If You Gotta Go, Go Now - Mae West
Blowin' In The Wind - Marlene Deitrich (in German!)
Lay Lady Lay - Plastic Cow (this is the Moog thing you mention--heck, I may have downloaded it from here! The Plastic Cow is actually the father of Wendy Melvoin from Prince's Revolution)

Oh, and I don't have it on mp3, but I used to have a 12-inch of Mitch Ryder doing a really strange but not bad dance version of "Like A Rolling Stone".

Mr Fab said...

Glad to hear it Nick - you are the Grand Inquisitor of Groovy Tuneage.

"Blowin' In The Wind" by Marlene Deitrich in German? Wow!
Actually I'd forgotten that Mike Melvoin did "Lay Lady Lay", I remember now I was thinking of Claude Denjean.

Anonymous said...

Claude Denjean did it on his 1971 album 'Moog'.

Brett Alan said...

If you want to hear the Deitrich thing, send me an email at my screen name (without the space) at gmail.

And obviously a version of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" by Bob Dylan is not very unusual--I meant Bobby Darin!

Two Moog versions of "Lay Lady Lay". What a time to be alive. B^)

Anonymous said...

There's a good Dylan album of French covers:


https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hugues-aufray-chante-dylan/id210301492