Thursday, January 19, 2012

DEB DOES KENTUCKY

Had a request from a reader in Morocco (!) for a few albums originally hosted by the late, great site Bellybongo. Tho I don't have albums by Lynn Rockwell or The Trilogy (anyone?), I am glad I had this little wonder. Deb Hyer played ramshackle one-man-band versions of late '60s/'70s easy-listening hits on garage-y guitar, sleazy electric organ, and one-note duck-quack sax. And then there's his singing - he may have been from Kentucky, but his sense of pitch was all over the map.
Actually, the crude arrangements really improve the sappy nature of these songs, bringing them somewhere in between the punk raunch of The Modern Lovers or ? & The Mysterians, and the outsider chaos of The Shaggs. On "Bridge Over Trouble Water," however, it all just completely collapses. "Pain is all around"? He ain't kidding!

Comments to the Unusual Kentucky blog tell us that Hyer was a prolific lounge entertainer in his day, and he recorded another album called (gulp) "Nashville Streaker." Tho we still don't know why he was named 'Deb.'
Deb Hyer "One Man Band "

1. One Man Band
2. If I Had a Million
3. Too Late To Turn Back Now
4. Baby Dont Get Hooked on Me
5. Proud Mary
6. till I Meet You
7. I Believe In Music
8. Bridge Over Troubled Water
9. Joy To the World
10. Rock and Roll Lullaby
11. Someday
12. Help Me Make It Through the Night

6 comments:

dj trish said...

interesting!Trish

Free Sheet Music said...

Neat Dual Showman!

Dirk Bill said...

AGH all your other one-man band ups are still grooving but this one is in link-limbo-land. Any chance you could re-post it?

Dirk Bill said...

Yes! Thank you SeƱor Fab!

Anonymous said...

Belated thanks for this one Mr Fab. It was a new one to me and I really enjoyed it.

Nathan.G

Jon Todd said...

I actually have a signed copy of this album and have met Deb a few times. I live in Maysville Kentucky and he visits the local flea market occasionally and he's a very cool guy.