Tuesday, January 31, 2006

DISNEY DOES DEVO...

...Or is Devo doing Disney? Devo, one of the greatest, most influential bands of the original punk era, made a career out of weirdness, but this is pretty insane, even for them: producing a group called Devo2.0 for Disney who are children, ages 10-13, performing old Devo classics. The five-piece co-ed combo, hand-picked by the Spuds themselves, clad in Devo's trademark energy domes (do NOT call them "flowerpot hats" thankyouverymuch) received instrumental assistance from Devo on the album, but will be playing their own instruments when they hit a shopping mall near you. This is either the most brilliantly subversive or depressingly corporate thing Devo has ever done.

Disney has plans for kiddie versions of other classic band line-ups - coming soon, The Go-Gos.

Release date: March 14, 2006. Sound clips on the Disney website. So if you've ever wanted to hear a 12-year-old girl sing about her "uncontrollable urge," now's your big chance.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is just something wrong here.
As creepy as those kids who sang that ABBA medley.

Wonder if Disney has plans to have a kid band line up of GG Allin and the Murder Junkies?! Can you see some cute 7 year old little tyke singign "suck my ass it smells".

Mr Fab said...

Bobo. I was also thinking GG Allin. What's wrong with us?!

Anonymous said...

The idea is pure Devo.

The execution is pure shit.

But worst of all...

I can barely bring myself to say it....

THEY CHANGED THE LAST LINE OF 'BEAUTIFUL WORLD'

:( x 10000

Mr Fab said...

"THEY CHANGED THE LAST LINE OF 'BEAUTIFUL WORLD"

Thereby rendering it meaningless. Well, I've been on the fence on this one, but that pushes me off. If you want to get your kids into Devo, why not just buy them the original albums?

Anonymous said...

It is kind of subversive in a "do Disney know they're working with a band who have songs called 'Penetration In The Centerfold', 'I Need A Chick (To Suck My Dick)', and 'Triumph Of The Will'?" kind of way, but I'm going to try and pretend this never happened, though I know morbid curiousity will eventually bring me back here to hear the samples.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm with the rest of you on this. They changed a lot of the lyrics. "I'm a boy with a gun" becomes "I'm a girl having fun." That singer is just an annoying little smugstress, isn't she? I liked the idea, until I watched the videos. Then again, none of this is being marketed to people like me; thank Booji for that.

Scott said...

Man or Astroman? did this shtick almost ten years ago, when they sent out the "beta unit" and the "gamma unit" along with the "alpha unit" (original band), so there were three versions of the band touring at once. (At least I think they did this...)

Props to Devo for adding the all-child wrinkle, though. I'm assuming that changing the last line of "Beautiful World" was mandated by the corporate suits at Dizco, but you never know. Devo might be using the occasion to grab some quick cash and laugh all the way to the bank. Hey, all those who hold DEVO so dear, WASN'T THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF THE BAND THAT THINGS WERE GETTING SHITTIER AND SHITTIER AS TIME GOES ON???????

GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Fab said...

You got a point there - "Devolution is Real."

Anonymous said...

THERE IS A GOD AND HE HATES US ALL.