Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WELCOME TO THE TERRORISTDOME

Fun-da-Mental are a veteran rap group based in England whose 2006 song "Cookbook D.I.Y." was banned there because it gave explicit instructions on how to make a bomb. Bandleader Propa-Ghandi is a Pakistan-born Muslim. Though the song is open to interpretation as it is narrated from a number of points of view, Mr. 'Ghandi didn't come off too well when he was interviewed in the new Bill Maher film "Religulous." When Maher asked him about the fatwa against writer Salmon Rushdie, the rapper (aka Aki Nawaz) appeared to condone it. Is he a fun-da-mentalist?

So far as I know, this song is still banned in the UK, and has never been released in the US.

I always liked Fun-da-Mental's music. They were a kind of Indo-British Public Enemy, decrying social injustice and racism over Bollywood-sampled beats. And I dig the music of this tune. But, as I said to my wife, I don't know if the real Ghandi would appreciate having his name appropriated by a group who named their album (from whence comes this song) "All Is War (The Benefits Of G-Had)." She replied, "Yeah, but you liked "Cop Killer"!

Fun-Da-Mental: "Cookbook D.I.Y." (mp3)
Fun-Da-Mental: "Cookbook D.I.Y." (video) - As if the point could be missed, the lyrics/instructions are spelled out on the bottom of the screen.

Weird trivia:
Aki Nawaz played drums in Southern Death Cult, who became one of my favorite guilty-pleasure bands, The Cult. I'll leave any "death cult" jokes up to you, dear readers...




2 comments:

said...

Years ago SOME of my music was reviewed, rather dimwittedly, here @ Music For Manics but moi’s work, that is the background music for this mini-doc into the origin of the ‘One god’ concept, was not reviewed sooooooo –
Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7iQRFP_e90

and if'in ya dug that, be sure to watch, @ YouTube, moi's "The Origin Of Jesus Christ" and for the real 'All Is War' watch/hear moi's too cool parody song "Hey! Hey! We're The Humans" also @ YouTube.

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor

said...

Oaky, take of an off dér point for speelning.